OUTCOME OF ALLOGENEIC STEM CELL TRANSPLANTATION FOLLOWING REDUCED-INTENSITY CONDITIONINIG REGIMEN IN PATIENTS WITH IDIOPATHIC MYELOFIBROSIS: THE G.I.T.M.O. EXPERIENCE AND REVIEW OF THE LITERATURE

Main Article Content

Francesca Patriarca
Andrea Bacigalupo
Alessandra Sperotto
Miriam Isola
Maria Teresa Van Lint
Anna Paola Iori
Paolo Di Bartolomeo
Maurizio Musso
Pietro Pioltelli
Giuseppe Visani
Pasquale Iacopino
Renato Fanin
Alberto Bosi
(*) Corresponding Author:

Abstract

Background

Allogeneic stem cell transplantation (SCT) is a potentially curative treatment for myelofibrosis (MI),  though  limited by a high rate  of transplant-related mortality (TRM). .   In the present study we evaluate the outcome of MI patients undergoing an allogeneic SCT after reduced intensity conditioning (RIC) regimens  , and the impact of prognostic factors .

Design and methods: Fifty two patients were transplanted in 26 Italian centres between 1998 and 2006. We analyzed the influence of patient and disease clinical features before SCT and of transplant procedures on TRM and overall survival (OS) by means of univariate and multivariate analyses.

Results: At SCT,  median age was 52,5 years (32-68) and  89% of the patients had  an intermediate or high Dupriez score. Conditioning regimens were based on fludarabine plus busulphan in 27% of patients, thiotepa plus cyclophosphamide in 46% and miscellaneous drug combinations in the other 27% of cases.  Stem cells came from matched sibling donors for 75% of the patients and mismatched sibling or unrelated donors for the remaining 25%.   The cumulative incidence of engraftment at day 90 after transplant was 83% (95% CI, 0.87-0.97 ). The estimated  1-year TRM was 30%.  The estimated  3- -year event-free-survival (EFS) and OS after hematopoietic SCT was 44%  and 38% respectively.  In multivariate analysis , an higher leukocyte count and circulating blasts in the peripheral blood before SCT significantly reduced EFS and OS respectively.

Interpretation and conclusions: We conclude that the extension of the disease before transplantation based on the presence of circulating blasts and high leukocyte counts significantly affected the outcome after HSCT


Downloads month by month

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Article Details

Author Biography

Francesca Patriarca, 1Division of Hematology and Cellular Therapies Unit ‘Carlo Melzi’, Dpt. of Morphological and Clinical Researches, University of Udine

Institute of Hematology, Catholic University, Director

Most read articles by the same author(s)

1 2 > >>