Main Article Content
Adherence to imatinib(IM) is of utmost importance in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia(CML) to maximise treatment effectiveness. The main objective is to measure adherence to IM & to evaluate individual patient characteristics, personal, treatment related & psychological factors influencing adherence behaviour. Hundred patients receiving IM were analysed for adherence behaviour using 9 item Morisky Medication Adherence Scale (9-MMAS) . Various factors were assessed for their impact on adherence behaviour. These factors were age, gender, duration of treatment, frequency & dosing of treatment, use of tobacco & alcohol, educational qualification,employment status,monthly income, side effects, financial assistance in treatment, social support, knowledge about medicine & disease, concomitant drug burden, polypharmacy, physician patient interaction, patient educational sessions & prevalence of depression. Seventy five percent of patients were found to be adherent. On univariate analysis, prevalence of depression (p<0.000001), moderate severe depression (p<0.000001), concomitant drug burden (p=0.036) & monthly income (p=0.015) were found to be significantly influencing adherence. The final multivariate model retained prevalence of depression with OR= 10.367 (95% CI, 3.112- 34.538) as independent predictor of adherence to therapy. This study suggests that identification & treatment of depression among CML patients may further enhance adherence to IM therapy.
Keywords: Chronic Myeloid Leukemia, Adherence, Imatinib, Nine Item Morisky Medication Adherence Scale, Patient Health Questionnaire -9.
Downloads month by month
2. Kantarjian HM , Cortes J , La Rosee P , Hochhaus A . Optimising therapy for patients with chronic myelogenousleukemia in chronic phase. Cancer 2010 ; 116 : 1419 -1430.
3. Marin D , Bazeos A , Mahon FX , Eliasson L , Milojkovic D , Blea M , Apperley JF , Syzdlo R et al . Adherence is the critical factor achieving molecular responses in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia who have achieve complete cytogenetic responses on imatinib. J Clin Oncol28 : 2381 – 2388.
4. Noens L , van Lierde MA , De Beck R et al. Prevalence , determinants , and outcome of non adherence to imatinib therapy in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia : The ADAGIO Study. Blood 2009 ;113 : 5401 -5411.
5. Darkow T ,Henk HJ , Thomas SK , et al. Treatment interruptions and non adherence with imatinib and associated healthcare costs : A retrospective analysis among managed care patients with chronic myelogenousleukemia . Pharmacoeconomics 2007 ; 25 :481 -496.
6. Ibrahim AR , Eliasson L , Apperley JF , Milojkovic D , Bua M , Syzdlo R et al . Poor adherence is the main reason for loss of CCyR and imatinib failure for chronic myeloid leukemia patients on long term therapy. Blood 2011 ; 117 (14) : 3733 – 6.
7. Ganesan P , Sagar TG , Dubashi B , Rajendranath R , Kannan K , Cyriac S et al . Non adherence to imatinib adversely affects event free survival in chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia . Am J Hematol . 2011 ; 86 (6) :471 -4.
8. Jonsson S , Olsson B , Soderberg J , Wadnenvik H . Good adherence to imatinib therapy among patients with chronic myeloid leukemia – a single center observational study. Ann Hematol 2012 , 91 : 679- 685.
9. Campos Dos Reis S , de SouzeQuixada A , Nune S , CAmelocid MD , deSouza J , deCosta C et al. Adherence to imatinib in chronic myeloid leukemia : a study of first decade of responses obtained at a Brazilian Hospital. Rev Bras Hematol Hemoter . 2013 35 (3) :174-9.
10. Sodergard B , Halvarsson M , Tully MP , Mindouri S , Nordstom ML , Lindback S , et al. Adherence to treatment in Swedish HIV – infected patients . J Clin Pharm Ther2006 , 31 : 605 – 616.
11. Morisky DE , Green LW , Levin DM . Concurrent and predictive validity of a self reported measure of medication adherence . Med Care 1986 , 24 : 67-74.
12. Morisky DE ,Ang A , Krousal – Wood M , Ward HJ . Predictive validity of a medication adherence measure in an outpatient setting . J ClinHypertens 2008 , 10 : 348 – 354.
13. Santoleri F ,Sorice P , Lasala R , Rizzo CR , Constantini A . Patient adherence and persistence with imatinib ,nilotinib , dasatinib in clinical practice. Plos One 2013 , 8 ; issue 2 .
14. Krousal Wood M ,Hyre A , Muntner P , Morisky D . Methods to improve medication adherence in patients with hypertension : Current status and future directions. CurrOpiCardiol2005 , 20 : 296 – 300.
15. Dimatteo MR, Leeper HS , Croghan TW. Depression is a risk factor for non compliance with medical treatment :Meta analysis of the effects of anxiety and depression on patient adherence . Archives of Internal Medicine 2000 , 160 (14) : 210 -217.
16. Kumar R BP, Dudala S Rao , Rao AR . Kuppuswamy’s Socioeconomic Status – A revision Of Economic Pattern 2012 . International Journal Of Research and Development Of Health 2013 ,Vol 1(1) ; 2-4.