Main Article Content
Venous thrombosis affecting thrombocytopenic patients is challenging. We report the case of a thrombocytopenic woman affected by deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism leading to the discovery of a heterozygous mutation in the gene encoding ankyrin repeat domain 26 (ANKRD26) associated with a heterozygous factor V (FV) Leiden mutation. This woman was diagnosed with left lower-limb deep vein thrombosis complicated by pulmonary embolism. Severe thrombocytopenia was observed. The genetic study evidenced a heterozygous FV Leiden mutation. Molecular study sequencing was performed after learning that her family had a history of thrombocytopenia. Previously described heterozygous mutation c-127C>A in the 5′ untranslated region (5′UTR) of the ANKRD26 gene was detected in the patient, her aunt, and her grandmother. ANKRD26-related thrombocytopenia and thrombosis are rare. This is, to our knowledge, the first case reported in the medical literature. This mutation should be screened in patients with a family history of thrombocytopenia.
Downloads month by month
2. Sinzinger H, Kaliman J, O’Grady J. Platelet lipoxygenase defect (Wien-Penzing defect) in two patients with myocardial infaction. Am J Hematol 1991;36(3):202-205.
3. Kubisz P, Stanciakova L, Stasko J, Dobrotova M, Sterenova M, Ivankova J, Holly P. The sticky platelet syndrome: an important cause of life-threatening thrombotic complications. Expert Rev Hematol 2016 Jan;9(1):21-35. doi: 10.1586/17474086.2016.1121095. Epub 2015 Dec 9.
4. Althaus K, Greinacher A. MYH-9 related platelet disorders. Strategies for management and diagnosis. Transfus Med Hemother 2010;37(5):260-267. Epub 2010 Sep 15.
5. Zetterberg E, CarissonAlle MS, Najm J, Greinacher A. Thrombin generation in two families with MYH9 related platelet disorder. Platelets 2016;27(3):264-7. doi: 10.3109/09537104.2015.1064882. Epub 2015 Aug 6.
6. Nurden AT, Fiore M, Nurden P, Pilois X. Glanzmann thrombasthenia: a review of ITGA2B and ITGB3 defects with emphasis on variants, phenotypic variability and animal models. Blood 2011 Dec 1;118(23):5996-6005. doi: 10.1182/blood-2011-07-365635. Epub 2011 Sep 13.
7. Ten Cate H, Brandjes DPM, Smits PHM, Van Mourik JA. The role of platelets in venous thrombosis: a patient with glanzmann’sthrombasthenia and a factor V Leiden mutation suffering from deep venous thrombosis. J Thromb Haem 2003; 1:394-395.
8. Rezende SM. Secondary prohylaxis with warfarin for recurrent thrombosis in a patient with Glanzmannthrombastenia and F5 G1691A. Br J Haematol2012;156:144-145.
9. Pippucci T, Savoia A, Perrotta S, Pujol-Noix N, Noris P, Castegnaro G, et al. Mutations in the 5′ UTR of ANKRD26, the ankyrin repeat domain 26 gene, cause an autosomal-dominant form of inherited thrombocytopenia, THC2. Am J Hum Genet 2011;88(1):115-120.
10. Noris P, Perrotta S, Seri M, Pecci A, Gnan C, Loffredo G et et al. Mutations in ANKRD26 are responsible for a frequent form of inherited thrombocytopenia analysis of 78 patients from 21 families. Blood 2011;117(34):6673-6680.
11. Necchi V, Balduini A, Noris P, Barozzi S, Sommi P, Di Buduo C et al. Ubiquitin/proteasome rich particulate cytoplasmic structures (PaCs) in the platelets and megakaryocytes of ANKRD26-related thrombocytopenia. ThrombHaemost 2013;109 :263-71.
12. Balduini CL, SavoiaA,Seri M. Inherited thrombocytopenias frequently diagnosed in adults. JThrombHaemost 2013;11(6):1006-19.
13. Cerutti A, Custodi P, Duranti M, Cazzola M, Balduini CL.
Circulating thrombopoietin in reactive conditions behaves like an acute phase reactant. Clin Lab Haematol1999;21(4):271-275.
14. Marquez R, Hantel A, Lorentz R, Neistadt B, Wong J, Churpek JE et al. A new family with a germline ANKRD26 mutation and predisposition to myeloid malignancies. Leuk Lymphoma 2014;55:2945-6.
15. Al Daama SA, Housawi Y, Dridi W, Sager M, Otieno FG et al. A misssense mutation in ANKRD26 segregates with thrombocytopenia. Blood 2013;122:481-2.
16. Bluteau D, Balduini A, Balayn N, Currao M, Nurden P, Deswarte C et al. Thrombocytopenia associated mutations in the ANKRD26 regulatory region induce MAPK hyperactivation. J Clin Invest 2014;124(2):580-91.
17. Noris P, Favier R, Alessi MC, Geddis AE, Kunishima S, Heller PG, et al. ANKRD26-related thrombocytopenia and myeloid malignancies. Blood 2013;122(11):1987-9.
18. Babushok DV, Bessler M and Olson T. Genetic predisposition to myelodysplastic syndrome and acute myeloid leukemia in children and young adults. Leuk Lymphoma 2016; 57(3):520-36