Main Article Content
Transfusion Dependent Thalassemia; splenectomy; iron load grade; hypothyroidism; primary, central.
To test the postulated hypothesis that splenectomy may influence the development of Hypothyroisdism (HT) in Transfused Dependent Thalassemia (TDT) young patients, basic factors known to influence the development of hypothyroidism were evaluated in 52 TDT adult patients (25 splenectomized) with HT. Precise analysis of data not only failed to disclose any statistical differences but revealed similarities, between splenectomized and non- splenectomized patients in respect to: i) the age at diagnosis of HT and ii)the ferritin levels on diagnosis and at the year of study. Interestingly a statistically higher age at diagnosis was recorded in central HT irrespective of splenectomy.
2.De Sanctis V, Soliman A, Campisi S, Yassin M. Thyroid disorders in thalassemia :An update .Curr Trends Endocrinol. 2012; 6:17-27.
3.Camberini MR, De Sanctis V, Gilli G. Hypothyroidism, diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, hypoparathyroidism : incidence and prevalence related to iron overload and chelation therapy in patients with thalassemia major followed from 1980 to 2007 in the Ferrara Centre. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 2008;6 (Suppl 1): 158-169.
4. De Sanctis V, Elsefy H ,Soliman AT, Zaki Elhakin I, Soliman NA, Elalaily R. Kattamis C. Endocrine profile of ?-thalassemia major patients followed from childhood to advanced adulthood in a tertiary care center. Indian J Endocr Metab. 2016;20:451-459
5. Delaporta P, Karantza M, Sorina Boiu S, Stokidis K, Petropoulou T, Papassotiriou J, Kattamis C, Kattamis A. Thyroid Function in Greek patients with thalassemia major. Blood 2012; 120: Abs.5176.
6. Belhoul KM, Bakir ML, Saned MS, Kadhim AM, Musallam KM, Taher AT . Serum ferritin levels and endocrinopathy in medically treated patients with ?- thalassemia major. Ann Hematol 2012;91: 1107-114. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00277-012-1412-7
7). Tavazzi D, Graziadei G, Comino A, Fiorelli G, Cappellini MD. Membrane-bound iron contributes to oxidative damage of beta –thalassemia intermedia erythrocytes. Br J Hematol. 2001;112: 48-50 https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2141.2001.02482.x.
8. Kattamis A, Dinopoulos A , Ladis V, Berdousi H, Kattamis C. Variations of ferritin levels over a period of 15 years as a compliance chelation index in thalassemia patients. Am J Hematol . 2001; 68:221-224
9. Ladis V, Chouliaras G, Berdousi H, Kattamis C. Longitudinal study of survival and causes of death in patients with thalassemia major in Greece. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005; 1054: 445-450 https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1345.067