Main Article Content
CLL, symptomatic COVID19 , Venetoclax-rituximab, time-limited therapy
With more than 3 million proven infections and 100.000 associated deaths in Italy, the COVID-19 pandemic poses extraordinary challenges to health-care professionals and especially to those caring for patients with haematologic malignancies (1-2). Given the multiple immune defects characterizing chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL), it is considered that patients with this form of leukemia have a high-risk of suffering severe forms of COVID-19 (3-4).
2. Passamonti F, Cattaneo C, Arcaini L, Bruna R, Cavo M, Merli F, et al. Clinical characteristics and risk factors associated with COVID-19 severity in patients with haematological malignancies in Italy: a retrospective, multicentre, cohort study. Lancet Haematol. 2020 Oct;7(10):e737-e745.
3. Forconi F, Moss P. Perturbation of the normal immune system in patients with CLL. Blood. 2015 Jul 30;126(5):573-581.
4. Langerbeins P, Eichhorst B. Immune Dysfunction in Patients with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia and Challenges during COVID-19 Pandemic. Acta Haematol . 2021 Feb 25;1-11. doi: 10.1159/000514071. Online ahead of print.
5. Koffman B, Mato A, Byrd JC, Danilov A, Hedrick B, Ujjani C,et al Management of CLL patients early in the COVID-19 pandemic: An international survey of CLL experts. Am J Hematol. 2020 Aug;95(8):E199-E203.
6. Baumann T, Delgado J, Montserrat E. CLL and COVID-19 at the Hospital Clinic of Barcelona: an interim report. Leukemia. 2020 Jul;34(7):1954-1956.
7. Thibaud S, Tremblay D, Bhalla S, Zimmerman B, Sigel K, Gabrilove J. Protective role of Bruton tyrosine kinase inhibitors in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and COVID-19. Br J Haematol 2020 Jul;190(2):e73-e76.
8. Cuneo A, Scarfò L, Reda G, Varettoni M, Quaglia FM, Marchetti M, et al Chronic lymphocytic leukemia management in Italy during the COVID-19 pandemic: a Campus CLL report. Blood. 2020 Aug 6;136(6):763-766.
9. Sehn LH, Kuruvilla P, Christofides A, Stakiw J. Management of chronic lymphocytic leukemia in Canada during the coronavirus pandemic. Curr Oncol. 2020 Jun;27(3):e332-e335.
10. Reda G, Noto A, Cassin R, Zamprogna G, Borella C, Scarfò L, et al. Reply to "CLL and COVID-19 at the Hospital Clinic of Barcelona: an interim report" Analysis of six hematological centers in Lombardy : On behalf of CLL commission of Lombardy Hematology Network (REL). Leukemia. 2020 Sep;34(9):2531-2532.
11. Rossi D, Shadman M, Condoluci A, Brown JR, Byrd JC, Gaidano G,et al How We Manage Patients With Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia During the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic. Hemasphere. 2020 Jul 30;4(4):e432.
12. Montserrat E. When CLL meets COVID-19. Blood. 2020 Sep 3;136(10):1115-1116.
13. Scarfò L, Chatzikonstantinou T, Rigolin GM, Quaresmini G, Motta M, Vitale C, et al. COVID-19 severity and mortality in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a joint study by ERIC, the European Research Initiative on CLL, and CLL Campus. Leukemia. 2020 Sep;34(9):2354-2363.
14. Mato AR, Roeker LE, Lamanna N, Allan JN, Leslie L, Pagel JM, et al. Outcomes of COVID-19 in patients with CLL: a multicenter international experience. Blood. 2020 Sep 3;136(10):1134-1143.
15. https://www.hematology.org/covid-19/covid-19-and-cll. COVID-19 and CLL: Frequently Asked Questions (Version 4.1; last updated February 2, 2021).
16. https://ehaweb.org/covid-19/covid-19-recommendations/recommendations-for-specific-hematologic-malignancies. COVID-19 and CLL: Frequently Asked Questions (Produced by the EHA SWG on CLL (ERIC) and endorsed by EHA).
17. Shadman M, Ujjani C. Vaccinations in CLL: implications for COVID-19. Blood
18. Roeker LE, Knorr DA, Pessin MS, Ramanathan LV, Thompson MC, Leslie LA, et al.
Anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibody response in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leukemia 2020 Nov;34(11):3047-3049.